Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I'm Not Asking For It

Pennsylvania Public Service Announcement Blames Rape Victims

I think the most outrageous thing I have heard to date is that rape victims are to blame for the rape. The first time I heard this line of defense for the perpetrator, I thought it was a joke. But after hearing this justification time and time again – through cases from all over the world – it became clear to me that this sickening excuse is actually what some people use to justify rape.

Oh and I suppose it’s also okay to steal that watch in the store display because of the way it is presented – in an "inviting" way. This is exactly the same concept.   

Rape is not and will never be the victim’s fault; it doesn’t matter how they dress (fashion is a form of personal expression that everyone is entitled to), and it doesn’t matter if they’re intoxicated – it does not mean the victim asking for it, it does not mean they want to be taken advantage of, and it does not mean you are allowed to do whatever you want. Saying the way a person dresses or acts is inviting rape is not a justifiable line of defense and to be quite honest, I can’t believe how prevalent victim – blaming is today.

We live in the 21st century; let's dismiss the ignorance!


No comments:

Post a Comment